Top Five Features Buyers Are Looking For In A Home
Purchasing a home is one of life’s most major decisions. While everyone’s values and needs are unique, there are some desired qualities that the majority of buyers have in common when looking for a home. Price and location are major considerations, and families with or planning on children will be looking closely at things such as the school district, daycare offerings, and recreation facilities. Beyond those basics, there are trends in home interiors, features, and designs that become popular, and whether you are buying or selling a home, it is to your benefit to be aware of what those trends are. For buyers, it is important to be aware of the features that are in high demand which could raise a home’s listing price and increase the competition for it in the market. For home sellers, knowing what is hot in the housing market right now could help you determine whether renovations are in order to ensure you get the maximum amount when selling your home.
Five Features Today’s Home Buyers Want
As the housing market continues to recover and the search for properties becomes increasingly competitive, there are certain features which appeal to many of those looking to invest in a home today. According to the website New Home Source, five of the features home buyers want the most are as follows:
- Smaller homes. Large mansions are out, while smaller, more reasonably-sized homes are in. According to a March 2016 report on home buying trends from Time media, the larger a home is the longer it is likely to stay on the market today. The Time article reports that homes which sold the quickest were those in the vicinity of 2,000 square feet.
- Open concept home. Open floor plans and living spaces are all the rage, and with good reason. They allow for larger entertaining spaces and allow families to spend more time together, rather than being isolated in different rooms.
- Modern, fully equipped kitchens. The kitchen is often the heart of the home, and today’s buyers tend to want larger spaces with room enough to eat in, and plenty of storage and counter space. Stainless steel appliances and granite or marble countertops are also in high demand, and can increase the overall value of the home.
- Outdoor living spaces. Properties that feature porches, decks, or cabanas that are well lit and equipped with extras such as fireplaces, cooking areas, gardens and water features are in high demand and increase the total amount of living space a home has to offer.
- Green technology. Energy efficient appliances and fixtures and homes incorporating alternative energy sources, such as wind or solar power, can help homeowners save money while also being good for the planet.
In order to keep your goals in sight, prospective home buyer should make up a list with the various features they are looking for in a home. A home buying wish list from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development prompts buyers with considerations such as price points and neighborhoods, while also providing space for those features that can help make a house a home.
Let Us Assist You
At Cavallo & Cavallo, our experienced New York real estate attorneys understand what an important investment buying a home is. We provide professional legal services to help guide you through every step of the home buying process, while ensuring your best interests are protected. With offices in the Bronx and New Rochelle, we can help; call or contact us online today for a free consultation.