NYC Medicaid and Community Care Services
Remaining at home for as long as possible is a priority for many older adults, but the challenges associated with providing for yourself can be overwhelming. From performing basic tasks such as cooking and cleaning to getting transportation to doctor appointments, there are a number of potential needs that must be addressed.
Whether you are taking care of a family member or friend or require assistance for yourself, it is comforting to know that there are a variety of services available to help meet your needs. Medicaid and community care programs throughout the New York City area are abundant, and can provide the care and support programs necessary to maintain your independence.
Medicaid is an insurance program that can help pay your medical expenses and long term care costs, but you are required to meet certain requirements. In addition to age and disability, Medicaid also looks at your income and resources. Owning property or assets, such as bank accounts or stocks, could limit your eligibility, while at the same time, paying out of pocket for services or using your existing insurance coverage can quickly eat up any resources you have.
Fortunately, we can assist you in managing your assets, using estate planning tools such as trusts to help ensure Medicaid eligibility. In most cases, you can still maintain control over your funds and use them to pay your monthly bills and expenses, but any additional resources would not prevent you from getting coverage for the services you need to remain in your home. Services that are generally covered under Medicaid include:
- Doctor visits;
- Prescription and non-prescription drugs;
- Transportation costs to get to your appointments;
- Home care and adult day care;
- Personal care aides;
- Occupational therapy;
- Medical devices, including specialized chairs, ramps, and other mobility and health aids.
NYC Community Care
In addition to the services and benefits provided by Medicaid, there are a variety of programs available to seniors through the NYC Department for the Aging. Services are specifically designed to allow you to continue to live at home, while maintaining your physical and emotional health and well-being. Programs include:
- Cultural and social functions, including movies, concerts, and trips, available through area senior centers;
- Assistance with groceries and home delivered meals;
- Case management services to help coordinate care between doctors and service agencies;
- Transportation services for shopping, appointments, and recreation;
- Educational and rehabilitation services designed to help make your home safer and more accommodating;
- Additional health services to address issues that are common with aging, such as vision and hearing loss.
In addition to the above, there are programs that connect seniors with volunteer opportunities in our, which allow you to utilize your talents while performing vital services.
How Our Medicaid Attorneys Can Help
At Cavallo & Cavallo, we understand the challenges that come with aging, and we work hard to ensure our clients are able to take advantage of the benefits and resources available. Our Medicaid attorneys can help you plan for the future, while always ensuring your best interests are protected. We serve the Bronx and the surroundings areas; contact our Medicaid and nursing home attorneys today to request a consultation.