The Benefits Of Estate Planning And How To Prepare For A Consultation
As your neighborhood law firm, our Bronx & New Rochelle estate planning attorneys at Cavallo & Cavallo are happy to consult with you regarding steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones, both now and in the years to come. Find out more about the benefits of estate planning and how you can prepare for your appointment.
How Estate Planning Benefits You and Your Loved Ones
Estate planning helps to convey your wishes, protect your loved ones, and ensures hard-earned assets are protected. Among the documents you should have in place include:
- A will: This details all property and assets you possess and how they should be distributed in the event of your death, avoiding costly and time-consuming New York Probate Court proceedings.
- Advance directives: These provide instructions to family and medical providers regarding the type of care you want in the event of a serious accident or illness.
- Power of attorney: This designates someone you trust to make important financial and business decisions on your behalf in the event you are unable to handle these matters on your own.
- NYSARC trusts: Creating a trust helps ensure vulnerable family members are protected, allows you to make distributions to non-profits you are passionate about, and can also help to defray the high costs of long term care.
How To Prepare For An Estate Planning Consultation
At Cavallo & Cavallo, we have decades’ worth of experience representing people in our community and helping to ensure they have the proper legal documents in place to protect them and their families. We are happy to schedule a no-obligation consultation to discuss your specific needs. Ways in which you can prepare for this meeting include:
- Make an inventory of all your current property and assets. The Insurance Information Institute (III) emphasizes the importance of having a complete inventory of all property and assets you own. In addition to protecting you for insurance purposes, it plays an important role in creating a will and determining other estate planning document needs.
- Jot down concerns regarding your family and their needs. Make a detailed list of friends, family, and even pets that you would want provided for in the event anything happened to you. Consider the special needs of small children, older adults, and anyone who is vulnerable.
- Gather copies of all estate planning documents you currently have in place. At your consultation, we can review these documents and consider where changes or updates are needed.
- Consider your future plans and the current outlook. Protecting your assets now plays an important role in reaching future goals. In addition to retirement plans, consider your current health and potential future needs.
Contact Us Today for Help
At Cavallo & Cavallo, we offer the trusted legal guidance you need to protect yourself and your family, both now and in the years to come. To request a consultation in our office, call or contact our estate planning attorneys online today.